Monday, October 27, 2008

Biking Across Nicaragua

I have mentioned a time or two that I am joining up with 19 other bikers in December in a trek across Nicaragua. It is going to be an adventure for sure. Sea to Sea Nicaragua
Step 1
finding a bike. Thankfully I was able to find a good bike here in Nicaragua from some missionaries who were heading back to the States. It was a steal. With a little investment on some newer parts I am pretty close to good running order. Meet my bike I have named her Esperanza which means Hope. Hope because the purpose of the trek is to raise money for hurricane relief on the Atlantic Coast of Nicaragua. Hope is also appropriate as I hope to be able to finish the 9 day route.
From Sea to Sea

Step 2
Training! Yep you heard that right. Aimee and Mary two of the other riders and I have been spending our weekends biking in preparation for the big ride. On Saturday we did a great little trail that I ran in a half marathon a few years back. The trail is mostly uphill and was quite muddy. Mary got stuck a few times. Surprisingly it wasn't me that got stuck. Usually it is!
Here's a pic of us just about half way up in front of a beautiful view of Manauga.
From Sea to Sea

Here is a pic from the first time we went out and did 110 Kilometers on a beach trip for the weekend. This was upon our return home. I was beat after the trip.
From Beach Bike Trip Sep 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment