Monday, February 13, 2012

A New Twist on the Same Journey

Over seven years ago I began a journey into the education world in Nicaragua.  I packed my bags and as many teaching supplies and books as I could manage into a 70 lb suitcase (back then you could take 70lbs internationally).   While teaching first grade at Nicaragua Christian Academy I learned a lot about the state of the public school system in Nicaragua.
 
I saw kids go to school only to be sent home because their teacher didn't come to school that day.   Severely overcrowded classrooms, underpaid, untrained teachers, broken desks, doors and chairs, lack of basic school supplies and curriculum are just a few of the struggles that schools in Nicaragua face.   A recent study showed that only 47% of children who begin the first grade will complete 6th grade and even fewer of those who complete 6th grade graduate from high school.    In order for a teacher to teach in a public school the only requirement is that they have graduated from high school.    All of these discoveries have given me a greater burden for training and mentoring for teachers in Nicaragua.

Through connections with churches and friends I have had the opportunity to do several workshops with teachers both in Managua and in Jinotepe.   These have been great opportunities to discuss and share new ideas about classroom basics with teachers such as classroom rules and procedures, how to write a lesson plan, daily routines, homework check-in and transitions.   All of these opportunities have fueled my desire to do more to help these teachers.

What's next!!  I have been asked to help start a new school  Nicaragua Christian Academy in Matagalpa, Nicaragua.  It is a small rural town in the mountains.  Matagalpa is about 2 1/2 hours from Managua where I have lived for the past 7 years.    This new position will afford me the opportunity to work with teachers at the ground level helping them understand and implement good classroom practices.   All of the details of my new role and position are not yet fully defined but the is what I know so far. :-)   I'll be helping hire and train new teachers, serve as the elementary principal, help with curriculum development and teacher mentoring, English teacher, as well as start our school library.   YIKES!  Does that sound like a lot?   It is and it is going to be a very stretching and growing time both personally and professionally but I am excited to see how God will be glorified through it all.

Here are a few facts about the school
  • The school will be in Spanish and will start with grades 1-7 and grow a few grades each year as we are able
  • School will officially open in February of 2013
  • Construction has begun on the property and we are hopeful that it will be finished by October sometime
  • This school will serve students and families from the middle class in the Matagalpa area
  • Our mission is to provide students with  academic excellence and a Biblical worldview so that they can enact greater change and transformation in their own home, neighborhood, business and community
Ways you can be praying
  • Pray for a Nicaraguan Director from Matagalpa who has a heart and passion for education and his community
  • Teachers who love the Lord and are passionate about teaching as well as eager to learn and try new things
  • Continued support and backing from community leaders, pastors and universities in the area
  • For wisdom for me as I step out and learn how to humbly lead and learn
  • For financial provision for me as I take on this new role.  Donate 

5 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing Carey. I'll keep you in prayer. You are a wonderful role model for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so exciting Carey!!! I look forward to hearing more about it as it develops. Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carey this is hugely exciting! Well done, well done! I can't wait to read more in the next months about how this is all developing. :) Are you in Nicaragua now or still in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias Carey, estaremos orando y queremos mantenernos al tanto de todo como vaya avanzando en esta nueva etapa de su vida tanto profesional como en la expansion de ministerio que Dios le esta proveyendo. Usted es un ejemplo de saber esperar con paciencia en el Señor.
    Con amor, Sileny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soo excited with you Carey! I believe you will be great at this and be a huge asset and wonderful teacher and encourager! We saw the property yesterday, the progress is amazing (like your last blog talked about - such a surprise here!). When are you coming, do you know yet? Much love! MGway :)

    ReplyDelete