Thursday, December 22, 2011

Feliz Navidad

Here is my Christmas Newsletter.  :-)





15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15   I am indeed thankful for the peace and grace of Christ this year.   As I reflect on the year it has been a Full year and I see how the peace of Christ has directed my paths, decisions and relationships.   Another great year with my first graders filled with lots of laughter, learning and special connections through brokenness.  A set of twins in my class lost a brother and formed a special bond with an empathetic teacher (me).  What a joy it is to see the redemptive work of God through such difficult times in our lives.  There is no doubt in my mind that He is in control and allowed our paths to intersect.

The Summer was filled with energy, engaging conversations about the gospel and excitement as I had the privilege of working with Nicaraguan and North American Youth.  It was so refreshing to meet so many Nicaraguan youth who are passionate about sharing the transforming work God has done in their lives with everyone they encounter.   These youth come from every background imaginable, drugs, gangs, abusive families, abandoned, living on the street and even Christian homes.  Through meeting these guys I have been challenged to live unashamedly for God and not be so fearful when sharing the gospel with my peers.

After the Summer I headed to the States where I have had revitalizing visits with my family.   I am so thankful for the opportunity to live a little life with them after so many years away.   Some highlights include tearing down an old barn with my Dad and Marilyn, running a 5K with my sister Bethany,  popcorn and late night laughter with my sisters, shopping with my Mom and library visits with my 3 yr old nephew Corbin.   With a heart of thanksgiving I cherish all of these special memories.   Thank you to all those who encouraged, prayed and have supported me financially in the decision to take a 6 month furlough.
 
The future in Nicaragua is looking bright.   God is at work and I am praying faithfully for guidance in the areas I am to be involved in when I return in the Spring.   Please join me in praying for God to make straight the path that I am to take as He prepares my heart for a new season of service and learning in Nicaragua.

This Christmas I feel like an outsider looking in since it is my first in the US in 4 years.  Consumerism, decorations, shopping, parties, parades, gifts, the birth of Jesus, carols, baking, and shepherds Oh my! I am challenged to focus on the true reason that we celebrate this season.   It is the time we recognize Christ the King coming in human likeness to fulfill our greatest need, the need for a Savior.   Can my life shine the light of Christ  my Savior to everyone I encounter during this busy time and all year through without being diluted by the priorities our culture?   This is something I have been chewing on …no new answer here but to let His Spirit lead me in a way of gratitude and thanksgiving everywhere I go all year long.   Colossians 3:16-17 highlights this idea well for me. “16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”  May you be challenged to live your life out loud with a song of thanksgiving in your heart this coming year.

Merry Christmas to you all and may the Peace of Christ dwell in you richly.   

Blessings,
Carey
Carylla


No comments:

Post a Comment