Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christ Alive in Us

The Christmas season is upon us and everywhere we go there are people hustling and bustling about.  This is my first Christmas in the USA in 4 years and there is undoubtedly a focus on consumerism like I've never seen before.   Sadly I see a shift from this season being about serving, loving and blessing others to a focus on getting everything on my shopping list as quickly as possible, DO-ing as many "holiday" parties, parades and activities as possible.

As I feel like an outsider looking in this year I am challenged to remember the purpose and true reason that we celebrate this season.   It is the time we recognize Christ the King coming in human likeness to fulfill our greatest need, the need for a Savior.   Because He has come and redeemed us, He has given us His Holy Spirit to live and dwell in us. What does that look like this Christmas?

Can my life shine the light of Christ to everyone I encounter during this busy time of year?   How can I share the love, joy and reason for which I sing and live with everyone I encounter at work, in line at the store, Christmas parties, driving on the road, ordering a coffee, even at church?   These are questions I've been contemplating and while I don't have any great answers except to let His Spirit lead me in a way of gratitude and thanksgiving I wanted to share them with you.   The passage in Colossians 3:15-17 highlights this idea well for me.

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

How can I let my daily interactions with people express the message of Christ and a heart of gratitude?

There is a new (to me) song that I recently learned and it beautifully describes what the Lord has done for us and my longing for Christ to be Alive in Me this Christmas and every day of the year.

Alive in Us by Hillsong United
Great is Your love
Let the whole earth sing
Let the whole earth sing
You reached for us
From on heaven's throne
When we had no hope

You are the way
There is no other
You are the way
There is no other

You rose from death to victory
You reign in life
Oh majesty
Your name be high and lifted up
Jesus, Jesus alive in us

You outshine the sun
You are glorious
You are glorious
Lord over all
You have made us new
We owe it all to You

In everything
Be exalted
In everything
Be exalted


3 comments:

  1. Very well said Carey! I've not felt that way in years, feeling the pressures and getting all wrapped up in the hype and "stuff" going on. I've focused on serving and keeping my eyes on the real meaning of CHRISTmas. We need more soldiers like you to guide and teach others the sincere importance of looking outside of self for the purpose of not only this season, but everyday life. Blessings abundant to you and yours this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. It is very depressing at times here in the USA maintaining a Christ-centered perspective during this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank's for sharing this...I appreciate the truth ringing forth. :)

    ReplyDelete