Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sea to Sea Day 4, January 1, 2009

Rosita to Siuna
The new year started out with fresh faces and exciting energy. As we pulled out of the hotel and onto the road a group of 7 of us made a wrong turn. We made it 10 kilometers down the road before we realized we were headed towards Bonanza which was not on our map. We had to turn around and go back to our starting point. The support crew had quickly realized too that we were missing and had been looking for us. The look on Rachel's face when we finally caught up with her was one of relief. We all laughed about the blunder and tried to hurry to catch up to the rest of the group that was 2 hours ahead of us.



By the first checkpoint we had already clocked 50 K and I was starting to feel really tired. The devotional from the night before about failure kept going through my mind. Apart from the Lord we can do nothing. He is our strength! I began to pray and a song came to my mind. Here are a few lines of the song that carried me through that afternoon.
The name of the Lord is a strong tower
the righteous run into it and they are saved
Honestly that was the only part of the song that I remembered but it pushed me through until we caught up with the rest of the group at the last check point of the day. As we arrived in Siuna the "lost sheep" as we had been dubbed had put in 96K. Aimee and I decided that we would ride around town until we reached 100k. It was the first time in my life that I had biked that far and I didn't know if I would get that close to 100 again so we went for it.

The little hotel where we stayed that night had never seen a group as big as us so they were moving beds and making all kinds of adjustments to accommodate us. The hallway to Mary, Aimee and my room was really narrow and it took the poor workers over an hour to try and get the bed through the hallway, past the doorway and into our room. They finally resorted to taking the bed apart in order to get it in. We were so thankful for their kind hospitality.

During dinner that night Jane Ann had gone back to her room to use the washroom and discovered a man had climbed in through the bathroom window was in their room. He was startled by her coming back and walked right out the door without stealing a thing. The police were called and the hotel tried to cover up the bathroom window so that no one else could get in. We saw the hand of God protecting not only us during this trip but also our stuff. He could have easily stolen lots but the Lord graciously kept that from happening.



No comments:

Post a Comment