Monday, January 4, 2010

Relationships



If I were to sum up 2009 in one word it would be relationships. God has blessed me with so many great friends, family, co-workers and acquaintances. A perk of living in a "warm" culture is that people tend to be more people oriented rather than task oriented. The longer I am here in Nicaragua the more I long for those long afternoon conversations with others over coffee or a cup of Rojita (for all those cough syrup tasting soda lovers).

Since I stayed in Nicaragua this Christmas my primary objective was to visit and catch up with all of the friends I've hardly seen since the school year started. The past two weeks have been RICH in fellowship, heart to heart talks, laughter, tears and yes... coffee.

I love and cherish every moment that has been spent over my break with people. I feel refreshed and revived. What an exciting way to start out 2010.

Today I took my truck to my mechanic. Bismark is a brother from one of the churches that we work with and has been a true blessing to our base not only with his mechanic skills but also with his amazing testimony.

Last Spring Bismark's wife died suddenly. It is customary in Nicaragua that there is an all night visitation that starts pretty much right away. Family, friends, church members etc come and comfort and pray with the family and then a burial service is generally the following day. As we heard the news last year our hearts sank as we mourned the loss of a dear sister. Our prayers went out to Bismark and his sons as they grieved. As I went to the "vela" visitation and talked with Bismark I was left speechless at he gave testimony to God's power, purpose, peace and provision in the midst of this difficult challenge. I thought that I was going to give words of comfort and encouragement to a hurting brother but in turn left awestruck by the power of our great God and His testimony through Bismark's trust in Him.

Back to today... Bismark and I were chatting and I asked him how his holidays were know that they were very different for him and his boys this year. He shared that it has been difficult and that he has felt strange these past few weeks without his wife around. As we both shared tears and a prayer together Bismark gave praise to the Lord for providing a moment to talk and share what he is experiencing. He is taking comfort from the words of David in the Psalms during these days.
Psalm 77
11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.

12 I will meditate on all your works
and consider all your mighty deeds.

13 Your ways, O God, are holy.
What god is so great as our God?

14 You are the God who performs miracles;
you display your power among the peoples.

Please pray for God's peace and comfort to reign in Bismark's life and home.

God I thank you that you have made us relational people and that you provide people to talk to when we need it most. Thank you for always being our Rock and Provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment